ARKADELPHIA, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello softball team traveled to Arkadelphia, Arkansas on Saturday to take on Great American Conference member Ouachita Baptist University for games one and two of their weekend series. The Blossoms came out of the first game with a 18-2 win over the Tigers, followed by a 4-2 win in game two.
Game 1, 5 Innings
Ouachita Baptist: 2, Arkansas-Monticello: 18
WP: Sam Stephens (3-2)
LP: Tuesday Melton (5-3)
The Tigers struck first, scoring their only two runs of the ball game in the bottom of the second. The Blossoms responded in the next half inning with a run of their own as Maddie Pfleging launched a solo home run over the left field wall.
UAM scored two runs in the third inning with Grace Neal driving in Hannah Holdbrook to tie the game up at 2-2. They would score the second run of the inning on an error.
The Blossoms would go on an absolute tear in the final two innings of the game, scoring ten runs in the fourth inning and five runs in the fifth before run ruling the Tigers. The fourth was kicked off with a Grace Neal walk to bring home a run, followed by a 2 RBI single from Kennedy Cox. Sophie Wood smashed a ball over the center field wall to drive in three runs, Holdbrook followed up with a 2 RBI double and Grace Neal drove in the final two runs of the inning on a single to right center.
Kammie Walker singled to bring home Lexie Smith for the first run of the fifth inning. Hannah Holdbrook and Adrianna Erichsen each drove in a run with singles up the middle. Kennedy Cox drove in the final two runs of the game on a double to center field.
The ball game would finally come to a close with an 18-2 victory for the Blossoms.
Game 1, 7 Innings
Ouachita Baptist: 2, Arkansas-Monticello: 4
WP: Kayla Olthouse (2-1)
LP: Maggi Huddleston (1-4)
The Tigers once again were the first team on the board in game two, scoring their only two runs of the game on a single and a HBP in the fifth inning.
UAM struck back in the sixth, scoring four runs to reclaim the lead. Kennedy Cox doubled to center field to bring home Adrianna Erichsen, with Jadyn Ferguson scoring as well on a throwing error from the center fielder.
Cox would touch home on an error from the second baseman and Bailey Camp drove in the final run of the game on a single down the left field line.
The game would end with a 4-2 UAM victory.
– Sam Stephens started in the circle in game 1, throwing 4.0 innings with 2 runs allowed on 6 hits. She also struck out 2 batters.
– Maguire Estill closed out the last inning of the game. She allowed 0 runs on 0 hits.
– Kyann Woods grabbed a start in game 2, tossing 4.1 innings with 2 runs allowed on 1 hits. She also struck out 5 batters.
– Kayla Olthouse closed out the remainder of the game, throwing 2.2 innings total. She allowed 0 runs on 3 hits with 4 strikeouts.
– Hannah Holdbrook – 5-for-5 with 2 Doubles, 5 Runs Scored and 3 RBI
– Kennedy Cox – 4-for-5 with 1 Double, 4 RBI and 1 Run Scored
– Grace Neal – 3-for-4 with 4 RBI, 1 Walk and 1 Run Scored
– Adrianna Erichsen – 3-for-3 with 3 Runs Scored and 1 RBI
– Bailey Camp – 2-for-3 with 1 RBI and a Stolen Base
– Kennedy Cox – 1-for-3 with 1 Double, 1 RBI and 1 Run Scored
The sweep on the day pushes Arkansas-Monticello to 10-6 on the season and 3-2 in GAC play.
Arkansas-Monticello is back in action on Sunday, March 5 when they play game three of their conference series with Ouachita Baptist University. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Softball schedule.
How to follow the Blossoms: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Blossoms softball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “UAM Softball” on Twitter and Instagram.
#BlossomNation | #BadNewsBlossoms | #BuildYourHouse