MONTICELLO, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello Women’s Basketball hosted Arkansas Baptist College in their second home game of the 2022-23 season on Tuesday at Steelman Field House. The Blossoms took on the Lady Buffaloes and came out with a 57-50 win to take two in a row.
Returning sophomore Bailey Harris led the way for Arkansas-Monticello (2-2) with 14 points, going 4-10 on shots in the two-point range, 1-3 in three-point range, and 5-7 on free throws. She also contributed a team leading eight rebounds.
True Freshman Alindsey Long contributed 12 points of her own, going 4-7 on field goals and 2-5 on shots beyond-the-arc with two rebounds.
Newcomer Joi Montgomery gave a dominant performance for the Blossoms, claiming a double-double of her own with 12 points scored and a team leading 11 rebounds. She totaled 3-9 on field goals and 6-8 on free throws.
Arkansas Baptist was led by Celebria Peacock with 12 points.
The Blossoms were the first team to put points on the board in the first quarter thanks to a three pointer from Bailey Harris. Arkansas-Monticello would remain on top for the remainder of the quarter, but neither team was able to go on a big run. UAM came out 3-14 on field goals, 1-4 on three pointers, and 5-6 on free throws. The two teams would head into the second quarter with UAM on top 12-9.
The second quarter was a flip of performance as the Lady Buffaloes would outscore the Blossoms 16 points to 11. UAM shot for only 25% of their field goals throughout the second 10 minutes. The teams would finish the half and head to the locker rooms with Arkansas Baptist on top, 25-23.
The third quarter proved to go the Blossoms way as well as they would outscore the Lady Buffaloes, 17-11. Alindsey Long found 11 of Arkansas-Monticello’s points in the third ten minutes.
The fourth quarter was once again won by Arkansas-Monticello as they would once again outscore Arkansas Baptist. The match would come down to a two point difference with 24 seconds on the clock. Harris would also hit three free throws, followed by a final free throw from Montgomery to give UAM a 57-50 win over the Lady Buffaloes as the time ran out.
Arkansas-Monticello committed 24 turnovers in the entirety of the match.
The Blossoms return to action in Monticello on Saturday, November 26 when they travel to Fort Smith, Arkansas to take on the Lions of the University of Arkansas Fort Smith. The match is set to begin at 2:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Women’s basketball schedule.
- Arkansas-Monticello used the starting lineup of Cyarah Kensmil, Laia Balcells, Bailey Harris, Joi Montgomery and Alindsey Long for the fourth time this season.
- The Blossoms also used this starting five in the season opener against Lincoln University on Nov. 11.
- Head Coach David Midlick collected his second win at Arkansas-Monticello.
- Bailey Harris scored a team-high 14 points.
- She has scored double digits in all four games this season, averaging 14.5 ppg.
- Alindsey Long scored double digits for the second time in her UAM career.
- Joi Montgomery‘s double-double is the first of the season for UAM.
- She had 12 points and 11 rebounds.
- This is the most rebounds by a Blossom since Taylor East‘s 11 against Harding on Feb. 24, 2022.
- Harris’ three blocked shots tie for the most of any Blossom this season.
How to follow the Blossoms: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Women’s Basketball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels on Twitter and Instagram.
#GoBlossoms | #BlossomNation