WEATHERFORD, Okla. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello football team played their fifth match-up of the 2022 season on Saturday afternoon. The Boll Weevils traveled to Weatherford, Oklahoma to take on out-of-state, Great American Conference member Southwestern Oklahoma State University, taking a 37-27 loss from the Bulldogs. The loss on the day drops the Weevils to a 3-2 record on the season.
UAM was the first team to put points on the board, but struggled to find their stride in the remainder of Saturday evening’s Great American Conference match-up, as Southwestern Oklahoma pulled ahead and would hold that lead for the remainder of the game. The Boll Weevils and the Bulldogs both scored 20 points each in the second half. Unfortunately, the effort would not be enough as UAM fell behind going into the half, falling to the home team, 37-27.
On offense, quarterback Demilon Brown went 23-of-40 on passing plays for 302 yards and claimed a touchdown pass. He threw a touchdown pass to LaCedric Smith. Smith led UAM in receiving with six receptions for 133 total yards. His longest of the night being for a 78-yard snag. On the ground, Brown’s 16 carries for 41 yards.
Defensively, Kaytron Allen once again led the way for the Boll Weevils with 14 total tackles and 11 solo stops.
Marquise Mcknight led the night in extra point attempts, going 3-3.
Boll Weevil Head Coach Hud Jackson had this to say after the game: “Penalties killed us. We can’t win when we have that many. Players played hard but we didn’t take advantage of opportunities that could have been game changers in all three phases. We will bounce back. This team never shuts it down in games. Preparation starts now for Northwest Oklahoma. We will fix problems and move forward! Eat’em Up!”
How it Happened
- 09:18 – UAM | LaCedric Smith caught a 78-yard pass from Demilon Brown for a touchdown following a three play, 78-yard drive.
- 06:01 – SWO | Tylan Morton dishes out a three yard pass to Jacob Karsak for a touchdown after a eight play, 75-yard series.
- 11:43 – SWO | Jaren Van Winkle kicks a 30-yard field goal to cap off a nine play, 49-yard drive.
- 02:32 – SWO | Morton rushes eight yards into the Boll Weevil end zone after a 12-play, 60-yard run.
- 02:19 – UAM | Brown rushes nine yards into the home team end zone for a touchdown, following a 12-play, 80-yard drive.
- 01:13 – SWO | Deshon Moreaux pulls in a 62-yard pass from Morton for a touchdown after a three play, 75-yards series.
- 12:46 – UAM | Edwin Kleinpeter ran two yards score a touchdown after a nine play, 61-yard drive.
- 08:12 – SWO | Moreaux caught a 23-yard pass from Morton to score once again, following an 10-play, 75-yard run.
- 04:06 – SWO | Gerald Palmer rushes into the Monticello end zone to score a six yard touchdown for the Bulldogs, following a nine play, 45-yard drive.
- 01:29 – UAM | Kleinpeter crossed into the end zone for a one yard touchdown to conclude an 11-play, 70-yard sequence.
The Weevils return to Convoy Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium on October 8 as they host Great American Conference member Northwestern Oklahoma State University for the UAM homecoming game. Official kickoff is set for 1:00 p.m.
You can find links the official live stream and live stats as tabs on the Weevil Football schedule page at uamsports.com.
#WeevilNation | #EatEmUp