MONTICELLO, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team hosted Southern Nazarene University at Weevils Field for a conference doubleheader on Saturday afternoon. The Weevils came out of game one with an 15-8 loss to the Crimson Storm, followed by a 8-5 win in game two.
Game 1, 9 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 8, Southern Nazarene: 15
WP: P. Hine (2-3)
LP: Connor Irvine (5-3)
Southern Nazarene struck first, scoring five runs in the second with a pair of RBI singles through the right side, followed by a three-run home run over the center field wall.
The Crimson Storm started the third inning with a solo home run over the left center wall, followed by a three-run bomb in a similar location. The inning came to an end with SNU on top, 9-0.
Chaz Poppy reached first base in the third on an error by the third baseman, but brought home Jalyn Williams on the play to get the first Weevil run on the board. Cade Cancilla singled to left field to drive in Cade Thompson for the second run of the inning. UAM would head back out on the field in the fourth trailing SNU, 9-2.
An RBI single, followed by an RBI double down the left field line in the fourth gave Southern Nazarene their 10th and 11th runs of the game.
Kirk Woolf brought home Noah Estrem on a SAC fly to deep left center field and Jalyn Williams scored on a ground ball from Chaz Poppy to start the bottom of the inning. Cade Cancilla ripped a full count single to right field to score two more runs.
Chase Cripps crushed a solo home run way over the left field wall to kick off the sixth for Arkansas-Monticello. Parker Dorrence went back-to-back with Cancilla for the Weevils’ second solo bomb of the inning.
The Crimson Storm found two runs in the eighth with both scoring from third on a wild pitch.
Two more runs in the ninth would give Southern Nazarene a 15-8 lead over the Weevils heading into the bottom half of the inning.
Arkansas-Monticello was unable to reclaim the lead, resulting in a 15-8 loss to SNU.
Game 2, 7 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 8 Southern Nazarene: 5
WP: River Hunt (1-1)
LP: Parker Presley (2-3)
Southern Nazarene struck first again in game two, scoring their first run of the game on a double to right field.
SNU scored two runs in the fourth on a double to deep right center field.
The Crimson Storm responded with a solo home run to lead off the next half inning, followed by an RBI single to center to tie the game at 5-5.
UAM plated the go-ahead runs in the bottom half of the sixth when Chase Cripps smoked a three-run bomb over the Commercial Bank Party Deck in left field.
River Hunt would go three up, three down in the seventh, striking out the final batter of the game for an 8-5 Weevil victory.
– Connor Irvine started on the mound for the Weevils in game one, throwing 3.2 innings with 11 runs allowed on 10 hits. He also struck out 6 batters in his appearance.
– Lane Ladner took his turn on the bump, also tossing 3.1 innings while allowing 0 runs on 3 hits. He had two strikeouts.
– Rigell Robinson made an appearance in the eighth, totaling 1.0 inning with 2 runs allowed on 1 hit and 3 walks. He also struck out two batters.
– Matt Huey closed out the ninth inning, allowing 2 runs on 2 hits with two strikeouts.
– Mason Philley started on the mound for the Weevils in game two, totaling 5.2 innings with 5 runs allowed on 9 hits. He also struck out 11 batters in his appearance.
– River Hunt closed out the final 1.1 innings of the game, allowing 0 runs on 0 hits with 2 strikeouts.
– Chase Cripps – 2-for-3 with 1 Home Run, 5 RBI and 2 Runs Scored
– Cade Cancilla – 1-for-3 with 1 Home Run and 3 RBI
– Cade Thompson – 2-for-4 with 1 Double to tie Jordan Johnson’s career doubles record of 52
The split on the day pushes Arkansas-Monticello to a 16-12 record for the 2023 season.
Arkansas-Monticello is back tomorrow, when they once again host Southern Nazarene University for game three of their GAC series. First pitch is set for noon.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Baseball schedule.
UAM would like to give a thank you to today’s game day sponsor, Holiday Inn. Thank you for your continued support of UAM Athletics!
How to follow the Weevils: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Weevils Baseball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “Weevils Baseball” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
#WeevilNation | #WeEvil