RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello softball team opened their Great American Conference series with Arkansas Tech University on Saturday. The Blossoms played a doubleheader, coming out of the first game with a 5-2 win over the Golden Suns, followed by a 9-0 loss in game two.
Hannah Holdbrook got the Blossoms on the board first, driving a lead lof home run over the right center wall to give UAM an early 1-0 lead.
Lexie Smith took her turn in the second, crushing a ball over the left field fence to make it a 3-1 ball game.
Grace Neal found an RBI in the third when she drove in Kennedy for the fourth run of the game.
Arkansas Tech responded in the bottom of the third with an RBI single, followed by an RBI double in the fourth to make it a 4-2 UAM lead.
The Blossoms found their fifth and final run of the game on a second RBI from Grace Neal.
ATU was unable to respond, resulting in a Blossom WIN in game one.
Game 2, 5 Innings
Arkansas Tech: 9, Arkansas-Monticello: 0
WP: Bradi Basler (7-5)
LP: Sam Stephens (4-5)
The Golden Suns were the only team to score in the second game, scoring eight of their nine runs in the third inning on a home run and a handful of RBI singles.
ATU scored their final run in the fourth on a SAC fly.
UAM was unable to answer, resulting in a 9-0 loss.
– Kayla Olthouse started in game one, throwing 4.0 innings on the game. She allowed 2 runs on 6 hits with 1 strikeout.
– Maguire Estill closed out the final 3.0 innings, earning a save with 0 runs allowed on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts.
– Sam Stephens started in the circle in game two, totaling 2.1 innings of work with 4 run allowed on 5 hits. She struck out a batter in her outing.
– Kyann Woods took over in the third, seeing only 4 batters. She allowed 4 runs on 4 hits.
– Maguire Estill closed out the remaining 1.2 innings, allowing 1 run on 2 hits.
The split on the day pushes Arkansas-Monticello to a 17-15 overall, 9-10 GAC record on the season.
Arkansas-Monticello is back in action on Sunday for game three of their GAC series with Arkansas Tech University. First pitch is set for noon.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Softball schedule.
How to follow the Blossoms: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Blossoms softball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “UAM Softball” on Twitter and Instagram.
#BlossomNation | #BadNewsBlossoms | #BuildYourHouse