JACKSON, Tenn. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team traveled to Jackson, Tennessee to take on Union University on Tuesday afternoon. The Weevils came out of the mid-week game with an 10-3 win over the Bulldogs.
Mid-Week, 9 Innings
Union: 3, Arkansas-Monticello: 10
WP: Zach Boyer (2-0)
LP: Grant Ross (0-1)
Alex Austin drove in Parker Dorrance on a ground ball in the second to give UAM an early 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs.
Austin grabbed his second RBI of the game in the fourth on a blooping single to left center field, scoring Cade Cancilla on the play. A RBI single from Logan Jones would bring home the third run of the game for UAM to give the Weevils a 3-0 advantage.
Following Cade Thompson’s record setting double down the right field line in the fifth inning (53 career doubles), Dorrance singled up the middle to bring home two runs for Arkansas-Monticello. The inning would come to a close with the Boll Weevils on top 5-0.
Logan Jones tripled in the top of the sixth, scoring on a wild pitch for UAM’s sixth run of the game. Kyle Frame would score the second run of the inning, also on a wild pitch. Parker Dorrance drove in Kirk Woolf on a double up the middle, followed by a ripped 2 RBI double down the right field line from Alex Austin for his third and fourth RBI of the game.
The Bulldogs got one back in the bottom half of the inning, scoring on an RBI single to left. The Teams would head to the seventh with Arkansas-Monticello leading 10-1.
Union found two runs in the bottom of the ninth, but the effort would fall short as UAM would take a 10-3 victory over UU.
– Zach Boyer started on the mound for the Weevils, dealing 5.0 innings with 0 runs allowed on 1 hit. He also struck out 4 batters in his 59 pitch appearance.
– Torrin Vaselenak made his second career appearance on the mound for UAM, tossing 1.0 inning with 1 run allowed on 2 hits.
– Ryan Mesaris took to the bump in the seventh, throwing 2.0 innings with 0 runs on 2 hits.
– Ethan Gardner closed out the final inning, finishing the game with 2 runs allowed on 3 hits.
– Alex Austin – 2-for-5 with 1 Double and 4 RBI
– Parker Dorrance – 2-for-2 with 1 Double, 3 RBI, 3 Runs Scored and 3 Walks
– Logan Jones – 2-for-3 with 1 Triple, 1 RBI, 1 Run Scored and 2 Walks
– Cade Thompson – 1-for-5 with a double to break the UAM career doubles record (53)
The win on the day pushes Arkansas-Monticello to an 18-12 record for the 2023 season.
Arkansas-Monticello is back at Weevils Field on Friday, March 31 when they host Arkansas Tech University for game one of their Great American Conference series. First pitch is set for 2:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Baseball schedule.
How to follow the Weevils: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Weevils Baseball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “Weevils Baseball” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
#WeevilNation | #WeEvil