MONTICELLO, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team once again hosted Southern Nazarene University at Weevils Field for game three of their conference series on Sunday afternoon. The Weevils came out with a 9-8 game three win and a 2-1 series win over the Crimson Storm.
Game 3, 14 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 9, Southern Nazarene: 8
WP: Matt Huey (2-0)
LP: P. Presley (2-3)
The Crimson Storm were the first team on the board in game with a lead off home run on the third pitch of the ball game.
Arkansas-Monticello responded with a two-run home run in the bottom half of the inning courtesy of Kirk Woolf.
Two errors, one in the infield and the other in the outfield, in the second lead to three runs crossing the plate for SNU. The Crimson storm found a fourth run on a wild pitch.
UAM grabbed one run back in the bottom of the second when Clay Lockett scored on a pick off attempt to first.
Parker Dorrance ripped a single into left field to score UAM’s fifth run of the game in the seventh.
An RBI single into right brought home a seventh run for Southern Nazarene, increasing their lead to 7-5.
Southern Nazarene found an RBI in the top of the 13th to reclaim the lead, but the Weevils retaliated in the bottom of the inning, scoring Cade Thompson on a Chaz Poppy ground ball to make it an 8-8 ball game.
– Derek Potts started on the mound for the Weevils in game one, dealing 4.2 innings with 6 runs allowed on 4 hits. He also struck out 6 batters in his appearance.
– Lane Ladner came in for UAM in the fifth, throwing to only one batter. He allowed no runs and a hit.
– Mitchell Maxfield opened the sixth, totaling 0.1 inning with 2 walks.
– River Hunt took over the bump, tossing 6.2 innings with 1 run allowed on 6 hits and nine strikeouts.
– Ryan Mesaris took to the mound in the 13th, pitching 1.0 inning with 3 hits and 1 run allowed. He also had two strikeouts.
– Matt Huey made an appearance on the bump in the 14th inning. He grabbed his second win of the year with a scoreless inning, striking out a batter.
– Kirk Woolf – 3-for-6 with 1 Home Run, 2 Double, 4 Runs Scored, 2 RBI and a walk
– Parker Dorrance – 2-for-5 with 2 RBI, 1 SAC and a walk
– Cade Thompson – 3-for-7 with 3 Runs Scored, 1 RBI and 1 walk
The win on the day pushes Arkansas-Monticello to a 17-12 overall, 10-8 GAC record for the 2023 season.
Arkansas-Monticello is back in action on Tuesday, March 29 when they travel to Union University for a mid-week game. First pitch is set for 2:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Baseball schedule.
How to follow the Weevils: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Weevils Baseball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “Weevils Baseball” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
#WeevilNation | #WeEvil