MONTICELLO, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team hosted Northwestern Oklahoma State University for a doubleheader to open up their Great American Conference series on Friday. The Weevils came out with a 17-2 victory over the Rangers in game one, followed by a 6-5 win in game two for a 2-0 start to senior weekend.
Game 1, 9 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 17, NWOSU: 2
WP: Connor Irvine (7-3)
LP: D. Collins (L, 2-8)
Cade Thompson kicked off senior weekend with a towering lead off home run over the scoreboard in right center field to kick off the game for the Weevils in the first.
Alex Austin crushed his first career home run as a Boll Weevil to left center field in the second, giving UAM a 2-0 lead over the Rangers. Kirk Woolf drove in a third run of the game, bringing home DeShaun Cordova from third on a bloop single to left center.
A grand slam in the third for Alex Austin’s second home run of the game gave UAM a commanding 7-0 lead. Following Cade Thompson scoring on a wild pitch, a solo home run to dead center field made it a 9-0 game in the third. A Cade Cancilla double down the left field line scored Kirk Woolf from first for the final run of the inning for Arkansas-Monticello.
A SAC to left field from Chase Cripps saw the 11th run cross the plate for UAM in the fourth. Kirk Woolf drove in two more runs on a double down the right field line.
The Rangers got one back in the top of the fifth, leading off the inning with a home run to left center field to make it a 13-1 game.
Alex Austin drove in Cancilla on a SAC fly in the bottom half of the inning for his sixth RBI of the game. Clay Locket plated the 15th run for UAM on a single to center from Chase Cripps.
Cade Cancilla crushed a two run home run to left center, giving the Weevils a 17-1 lead in the sixth.
Northwestern Oklahoma lead off the seventh with a home run over the left field wall.
Game one would come to an end with the Weevils on top, 17-2.
Game 2, 7 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 6, NWOSU: 5
WP: Mason Philley (6-4)
LP: C. Phelps (2-3)
SV: River Hunt (5)
Northwestern Oklahoma scored first in game two, scoring a run on a SAC fly to left field. A single to center field drove in the second run of the inning for the Rangers.
Clay Lockett drove in two runs on a double ripped down the left field line, putting the Weevils on the board and tying the game, 2-2. Alex Austin touched the plate, scoring on a wild pitch to give UAM a 3-2 lead. UAM scored their fourth run of the inning on a SAC fly from Chase Cripps, bringing home Clay Lockett.
The Rangers found a third run in the third inning, scoring on an RBI single to right.
A NWOSU home run to left center tied the game at 4-4 in the fifth.
Alex Austin hit a solo shot over the left center wall for his third home run of the day, followed by an RBI double from DeShaun Cordova to give the Weevils a 6-4 lead.
Northwestern Oklahoma plated their fifth and final run in the seventh, but it was not enough to extend the game, resulting in a 6-5 UAM victory and Saturday sweep.
– Connor Irvine started on the mound for UAM in game one, taking the win with 6.0 innings pitched with 1 run allowed on 3 hits. He also struck out 5 Rangers.
– Torrin Vaselenak closed out the seventh, concluding his outing with 1 run allowed on 2 hit and a strikeout.
– Mason Philley got the start in game two, throwing 5.0 total innings with 4 runs allowed on 7 hits and 8 strikeouts.
– River Hunt closed out the remaining 2.0 innings for UAM, allowing 1 run on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts to end the game.
– Alex Austin – 2-for-3 with 2 Home Runs, 6 RBI, 3 Runs Scored, 1 SAC Fly and 1 HBP
– Kirk Woolf – 3-for-4 with 1 Double, 3 RBI, 1 Runs Scored and 1 Walk
– Cade Thompson – 1-for-2 with 1 Home Run, 3 Runs Scored, 2 Walks, 1 RBI and 1 Stolen Base
– Cade Cancilla – 3-for-4 with 1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 RBI and 3 Runs Scored
– Chase Cripps – 2-for-4 with 1 Home Run, 3 RBI, 1 Run Scored, and 1 SAC
– Clay Lockett – 2-for-3 with 1 Double, 2 RBI and 2 Runs Scored
– Alex Austin – 1-for-2 with 1 Home Run, 2 Runs Scored, 1 RBI and 1 Walk
The sweep on the day pushes Arkansas-Monticello to a 24-16 overall, 15-11 GAC record for the 2023 season.
Arkansas-Monticello is back in action tomorrow when they once again host Northwestern Oklahoma State University for a senior day game three. First pitch is set for 11:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Baseball schedule.
How to follow the Weevils: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Weevils Baseball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “Weevils Baseball” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
#WeevilNation | #WeEvil