What is volunteerism? Volunteerism is the use or involvement of volunteer labor, especially in community services.
What is a volunteer? A volunteer is one who renders a service or takes part in a transaction while having no legal concern or interest
At our most recent monthly City Council Meeting, a few groups and people were mentioned while talking about the volunteers in our community. We know that as a community, volunteers are the people who make things in Monticello possible. It was not our intention to only recognize a few and not others. So, I want to take this opportunity to celebrate all the volunteers I know who have worked to make Monticello a great city to live, work, and play. The following is a short list of those who have made large contributions in the past 3-4 years.
• Jeff Newton, Doug Osborne, Logan Hancock and private donors – Recreational Lake Trail
• Joe Carmical and others – Disc Golf
• Many volunteers and Bart Gregory – Our Festival
• Ralph and Frances Wells – Free parking lot at Church St.
• April Block – Trunk or Treat
• Ryan Copico, Ben Higginbotham, Food Trucks – Food Truck Friday
• 2nd Chance Fur Dogs
• Union Bank – Beautification Project
• Weevil Welcome
• Commercial Bank
• Revival Center – Food Give Aways
• Volunteer Fire Department
• Knights of Columbus – Care of Old Monticello Cemetery
• Junior Auxiliary
• Reathel Privett
• Alpha Sigma Alpha – Picking up trash at Sports Complex
• Parks and Recreation Commission
• Planning Commission
• MEDC Commission
• Airport Commission
• A&P Commission
Join a group or do it as an individual. Be one of these folks because your care of your city is important and necessary. It is greatly appreciated, and you will benefit from stepping out and doing something for others as much or more than others benefit from your contributions. I know there are many more. I just felt the need to mention the ones I know of who set the standard. Please feel free to let me know if you have contributed and I missed you. Thank you to all the volunteers who serve and never require recognition or praise. I KNOW our city appreciates what you do!
Mayor Monticello, AR