MONTICELLO, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team hosted Arkansas Tech University at Weevils Field for a conference doubleheader on Saturday afternoon. The Weevils came out of game one with a 12-8 come back win over the Wonder Boys, followed by a 5-3 loss in game two.
Game 1, 9 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 12, Arkansas Tech: 8
WP: Lane Ladner (2-1)
LP: J. Rector (2-2)
The Wonder Boys fired first on Saturday afternoon, scoring three runs in the top of the first to take a quick lead over Arkansas-Monticello.
A two out single through the left side would give Tech a 4-0 lead before the top of the inning came to an end.
ATU extended their lead in the fourth, scoring the first run of the inning on a wild pitch. They found two runs immediately after on home run over the left field wall.
Cade Cancilla got the Weevils on the board in the bottom of the inning, ripping a two-run home run over the left center wall. The inning came to a close with ATU leading 7-2.
DeShaun Cordova sent a solo shot flying over the right center wall to give UAM a single run in the fifth.
After a double off the left center wall in the sixth, Chaz Poppy crossed the plate for the Weevils’ fourth run of the game on a Cade Cancilla single up the middle. DeShaun Cordova grabbed two more RBI on the game when he drove in a bases loaded single to center field.
Chaz Poppy put the Weevils back on top in the sixth, hitting a two-run, monster home run over the left center wall to give UAM an 8-7 lead.
ATU tied the game back at 8-8 on an RBI double in the top of the eighth.
Arkansas-Monticello stole back the lead once again in the eighth with Kyle Frame driving in two runs on a single to center. Cade Thompson extended the Boll Weevil lead with a home run deep over the Union Bank logo in right center field.
River Hunt only needed three batters to shut down the Wonder Boy offense, resulting in a 12-8 come back WIN for UAM.
Game 2, 7 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 3, Arkansas Tech: 5
WP: E. Mata (4-2)
LP: Mason Philley (5-3)
SV: M. Griffin (6)
Arkansas-Monticello scored first in game two with Chaz Poppy sending a solo shot over the Union Bank logo in deep left center field.
After a pair of back-to-back errors on the infield in the seventh, a no-out single down the left field line brought home two runs for the Wonder Boys. ATU found three more runs on the inning, extending their lead to 5-1 heading into the bottom half.
Unfortunately the Weevils would leave runners on to end the game with a 5-3 loss in game two.
– Connor Irvine started on the mound for the Weevils in game one, throwing 4.0 innings with 7 runs allowed on 11 hits. He also struck out 4 batters in his appearance.
– Rigell Robinson made an appearance on the bump, throwing 3.0 innings of work with 0 runs on 1 hit. He also had a strikeout.
– Lane Ladner saw 1.0 inning for UAM, allowing 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts.
– River Hunt closed out the final inning of the game, allowing 0 runs on 0 hits.
– Mason Philley started on the mound for the Weevils in game two, throwing 6.0 innings with 4 runs allowed on 5 hits. He also struck out 10 batters in his appearance.
– River Hunt came in to pitch for UAM in the seventh, allowing 0 runs on 2 hits.
– Chaz Poppy – 2-for-5 with 1 Home Run, 1 Double, 2 RBI and 2 Runs Scored
– Cade Thompson – 2-for-4 with 1 Home Run, 1 Double, 2 RBI, 2 Runs Scored and 1 Walk
– Cade Cancilla – 2-for-4 with 1 Home Run, 3 RBI and 2 Runs Scored
– DeShaun Cordova – 2-for-2 with 1 Home Run, 3 RBI, 1 Run Scored and 1 Walk
– Chaz Poppy – 2-for-3 with 1 Home Run, 2 RBI and 1 Run Scored
The split on the day pushes Arkansas-Monticello to a 19-13 record for the 2023 season.
Arkansas-Monticello is back tomorrow, when they once again host Arkansas Tech University in game three of their GAC series. First pitch is set for 12:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Baseball schedule.
UAM would like to give a thank you to today’s game day sponsor, Union Bank. Thank you for your continued support of UAM Athletics!
How to follow the Weevils: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Weevils Baseball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “Weevils Baseball” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.