MONTICELLO, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello football team played their eighth match-up of the 2022 season on Saturday afternoon. The Boll Weevils hosted in-state, Great American Conference member Harding University at home for the first time since 2018, taking a 56-43 loss from the Bisons. The loss on the day drops the Weevils to a 3-5 record on the season.
UAM went toe-toe-toe with the visiting Bisons all afternoon on Saturday. Harding may have been the first team on the board, but it certainly didn’t effect the Boll Weevil offense, as they would put up 563 total offensive yards gained in the match-up. Although the home team would not win the ball game, the match was a showcase of what UAM is truly capable of.
On offense, quarterback Edwin Kleinpeter went 16-of-27 on passing plays for 266 yards. Caleb Jacobs led UAM in receiving with six receptions for 147 total yards and two touchdowns. His longest of the night being for a 54 yard touchdown run. On the ground, DemilonBrown led the Boll Weevils with four carries for 69 yards.
Defensively, Kaytron Allen once again led the way for the Boll Weevils with eight total tackles and seven solo stops.
Zachary Grisotti led the day in extra point attempts, going 5-5.
Boll Weevil Head Coach Hud Jackson had this to say after the game: “This was gut wrenching. Our guys and coaches played and coached hard. They are an unreal group that I am grateful for. Proud of some of our young guys who got some valuable experience. We will continue to prepare and move on to the next one. We are not going to be satisfied with moral victories. Our goal is to win and win by playing together and for each other! We are UAM and we will be back! Eat’em Up!”
How it Happened
- 05:50 – HU | Blake Delacruz rushes 4 yards into the Weevil end zone following a two play, 11-yard run.
- 00:47 – UAM | A fake field goal brings home a touchdown when Robert Iverson pulled in a 21-yard pass from Caleb Jacobs to conclude a 12-play, 69-yard drive.
- 13:33 – HU | Josh Jones rushes 47-yards to score after a five play, 73-yard Bison drive.
- 12:54 – UAM | Lacedric Smith snags a 73-yard pass from Demilon Brown for a touchdown on the Boll Weevils second play of the run.
- 10:46 – HU | Jhalen Spicer rushes 33 yards to score, concluding a four play, 55-yard series.
- 05:11 – HU | Cole Keylon rushes one yard into the endzone to score a touchdown after an eight play, 65-yard drive.
- 00:55 – UAM | Edwin Kleinpeter scores his first touchdown of the game on a one yard rush, following an 11-play, 75-yard series.
- 09:58 – HU | Kage Citty catches a 75 yard passing touchdown from Keylon to score after a three play, 80-yard drive.
- 06:48 – HU | Clark Griffin recovers a UAM fumble at the 3-yard line to return for a 97-yard touchdown.
- 03:50 – UAM | Caleb Jacobs pulls in a 26 yard pass from Kleinpeter for his first touchdown of the game on a nine yard, 75-yard drive.
- 13:41 – HU | Delacruz once agan rushes four yards into the endzone to score his second touchdown of the game after a 12-play, 83-yard drive.
- 11:01 – UAM | Hunter Watson finds a 31-yard reception to score, following an eight play, 65-yard run.
- 02:25 – HU | Peydon Harlow rushed two yards inthe UAM end zone for a touchdown to cap off a six play, 20-yard series.
- 01:02 – UAM | Jacobs gets is second reception touchdown of the game on a 54-yard pass from Kleinpeter to score the final points of the game.
The Weevils will stay at Convoy Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium on Saturday, October 29 as they host out-of-state GAC member Southeastern Oklahoma State University for a PINK OUT, Breast Cancer Awareness Day, sponsored by Drew Memorial Health System. Official kickoff is set for 2:00 p.m.
You can find links the official live stream and live stats as tabs on the Weevil Football schedule page at uamsports.com.
#WeevilNation | #EatEmUp