STERLINGTON, La. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team traveled to the Sterlington Sports Complex to host Southeastern Oklahoma State University for their three-game, Great American Conference series on Sunday and Monday. The Weevils came out of the first game with a 16-6 win, followed by a 5-2 win in game two and a 5-3 loss in game three.
With the 2-1 win on the weekend, Arkansas-Monticello starts GAC play with a 5-1 record.
Game 1, 7 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 16, Southeastern: 6
WP: Lane Ladner (1-0)
LP: Jakob Berger (0-1)
The Weevils were the first team to put runs on the board in game one, scoring two in the bottom of the first inning. Cade Cancilla drove in Cade Thompson on an RBI single down the left field line, followed by a Chaz Poppy single through the six-hole to score Kirk Woolf.
The Savage Storm responded in the second with a three-run home run over the left field wall.
Reece Reading nabbed an RBI in the third, hitting an RBI single through the four-hole to score Thompson, but Southeastern would reclaim the lead in the following half inning with an RBI single of their own.
Arkansas-Monticello saw a three-run inning in the fifth, with Clay Lockett crossing home for the first, followed by Kirk Woolf scoring on a SAC fly from Chaz Poppy. Cade Cancilla scored the final run of the inning when he came home on a wild pitch.
A two-run home run for Southeastern in the sixth would tie the game at 6-6 and be the final runs scored by the visiting team.
The Weevils would score 10 runs over the sixth and seventh inning, with the first DeShaun Cordova and Parker Dorrance scoring the first two on a throwing error from the catcher. Clay Lockett scored on a balk and Kirk Woolf crossed home on a fielder’s choice. Reece Reading found his way across the plate on a SAC fly from Joe Brouilette and Chaz Poppy scored the final run of the sixth on a single from Kyle Frame.
An RBI single to left from Kirk Woolf and a 2 RBI double ro right center from Cade Cancilla were followed by an SAC fly from Reece Reading to score the walk-off win for UAM as they would collect the run-rule win over the Storm.
UAM would take game one win a 16-6 victory.
Game 2, 7 innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 5, Southeastern: 2
WP: Connor Irvine (4-0)
LP: Cameron Hauch (1-1)
Southeastern Oklahoma scored their first run of the ball game in the second.
The Weevils would respond over the next two innings with five runs scored. Joe Brouilette was the first to score, crossing the plate on an RBI single from DeShaun Cordova. Kirk Woolf was the next to touch home, scoring on a triple to right center from Cade Cancilla. Noah Estrem came to the and hit a triple of his own to score Cancilla. Logan Jones singled up the middle to bring home the final two runs for UAM.
The Storm found a final run in the fifth, but were unable to come back from the UAM lead.
Arkansas-Monticello would sweep the day and take a 5-2 victory in game two.
Game 3, 9 innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 3, Southeastern: 5
WP: Michael Barta (2-0)
LP: River Hunt (0-1)
SV: B. Logsdon (1)
Southeastern Oklahoma struck first with a run in the top of the third, followed by a Weevil run in the bottom half of the inning thanks to a Cade Cancilla SAC fly.
The Storm found their second run of the ball game in the fifth inning, but were once again matched by the Weevils in the bottom of the inning when Cancilla once again drove in a run.
Three more runs would be scored by the visiting team over the seventh and eighth innings to give the Savage Storm a 5-2 lead over UAM. Arkansas-Monticello had their final run of the game cross home in the ninth thanks to a Cade Thompson single through the right side, but were unable to take back the lead from Southeastern Oklahoma as it would come to an end with a final score of 5-3.
– Derek Potts started on the mound in the first game of the day, totaling 5.0 innings pitched with 4 runs allowed, 5 hits and 4 strikeout on the day.
– Lane Ladner made an appearance, collecting the win in his 2.0 innings pitched. He came out of the appearance allowing only 3 hits, 2 runs and a strikeout.
– Connor Irvine started on the mound for the Weevils in game two, throwing a 7.0 innings, complete game with only 2 runs allowed on 6 hits. He also tossed 6 strikeout on the day.
– Mason Philley made his fourth start of the year in game three, totaling 6.0 innings with only 2 runs scored on 9 hits. He struck out 4 batters in his outing.
– River Hunt tossed the remaining 3.0 innings, allowing 3 runs on 2 hits with a strikeout.
– Chaz Poppy – 3-for-3 with 2 RBI, 1 SAC and 1 Run Scored
– Kirk Woolf – 3-for-4 with 4 Runs Scored, 1 RBI and a Walk
– Cade Cancilla – 2-for-4 with 1 Double, 3 RBI, 2 Runs Scored and a walk
– Cade Cancilla – 1-for-3 with 1 Triple, 1 RBI and 1 Run Scored
– Noah Estrem – 1-for-3 with 1 Triple, 1 RBI and 1 Run Scored
– Logan Jones – 1-for-2 with 2 RBI and 1 Stolen Base
– Cade Cancilla – 1-for-2 with 2 RBI, 1 HBP and a SAC
– DeShaun Cordova – 2-for-4 with 1 Double and 1 Run Scored
The series WIN on the weekend pushes Arkansas-Monticello to a 10-4, 5-1 GAC record to start to the 2023 season.
Arkansas-Monticello is back at Weevils field on Friday, March 3 to host in-state Great American Conference member Ouachita Baptist University in game one of their three-game series. First pitch is set for 2:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Baseball schedule.
How to follow the Weevils: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Weevils Baseball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “Weevils Baseball” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
#WeevilNation | #WeEvil