RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team traveled to Russellville, Arkansas on Wednesday to take on Great American Conference member Arkansas Tech University in a non-conference mid-week game. The Weevils leave Baswell Field with a 16-8 loss to the Wonder Boys.
The mid-week marked the first non-weekend battle of the 2023 season and gave UAM their first taste of GAC play before traveling to East Central University this weekend for their first official series.
Game 1, 9 Innings
Arkansas Tech: 16, Arkansas-Monticello: 8
WP: Jordan Muschalek (1-0)
LP: Ryan Mesaris (0-1)
The Wonder Boys were the first team to put runs on the board, putting up a five run inning in the top of the second.
Arkansas-Monticello responded with four runs of their own throughout the third and fourth innings courtesy of an RBI double from Cade Thompson to score Parker Dorrance, Kirk Woolf’s fifth home run since Saturday to score Thompson for two RBI, and single to left from Clay Lockett to score Chaz Poppy.
The bottom half of the fourth inning proved to be devastating for UAM as ATU put up 11 runs throughout its entirety. Tech would hold a 16-4 lead when the final out finally came.
Arkansas-Monticello would find four more runs in the game, with an RBI double and solo home run late from Torrin Vaselenak to give the Weevils two of those runs.
The game would conclude with a 16-8 loss to the Wonder Boys.
– Ryan Mesaris started on the mound for the Weevils, totaling 2.0 innings pitched with 5 runs allowed (2 ER) and 6 hits on the day.
– Matt Huey took his turn on the bump, dishing out 1.0 inning pitched for UAM. He struck out a batters, and allowed 0 runs on 2 hits.
– Zach Boyer was the third pitcher for Arkansas-Monticello, tossing to five total batters with 5 runs scored on 2 hits.
– Ethan Gardner made an appearance with 1.0 inning pitched. He came out of the performance with 0 earned runs (6 scored) on 5 hits, 1 walk and a strikeout.
– Mitchell Maxfield was the fifth pitcher for the Weevils on the day. He pitched for 1.0 inning, allowing 0 runs on only 1 hit with a strikeout.
– Jacob McDaniel made his third appearance of the year, throwing 3.0 innings for UAM. He finished with 3 strike out in his 1 hit, 0 run outing.
The loss on the day drops Arkansas-Monticello to a 5-3 record on the 2023 season.
Arkansas-Monticello is back in action on Friday, Feb. 17 as they travel to Ada, Oklahoma to open Great American Conference play against East Central university. First pitch of game 1 is set for 2:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Baseball schedule.
How to follow the Weevils: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Weevils Baseball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “Weevils Baseball” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
#WeevilNation | #WeEvil