GAME 1 BOX SCORE | GAME 2 BOX SCORE
CLINTON, Miss. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team closed out the opening series of its 2023 campaign on Saturday afternoon when they took on Mississippi College in a double-header for games two and three of their weekend series. The Weevils came out of the first game with a 13-3, run-rule win over the Choctaws, followed by a 4-2 win to finish the weekend with a series sweep.
The Weevils leave the weekend with a 3-0 start to the season for the first time since 2015.
Game 1, 8 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 13, Mississippi College: 3
WP: Mason Philley (1-0)
LP: Cooper Gadman (0-1)
UAM was the first team to put runners in scoring position as Cade Thompson reached first on a single to center, followed by a double to center from Kirk Woolf to put runners on first and third. Chase Cripps would hit a sacrifice fly to left field to score Thompson and Cade Cancilla would rip a ball into left to score Woolf. The half of the inning would come to an end for UAM with a 2-0 lead.
The Weevils struck again in the second, scoring Noah Estrem on a single to left from Parker Dorrance. Logan Jones and Dorrance would soon score thanks to a double to right from Chase Cripps. Cancilla singled up the middle to score both Cripps and Woolf. The final runs of the second came from Reece Reading and Cancilla touching home on a Joe Brouilette single to right. The inning would come to a close with the Weevils on top, 10-0.
Mississippi College found three runs in the third inning, scoring one off of a sack fly ball to center field, followed by a two run home run to left field.
Arkansas-Monticello tacked on three more runs in the fourth, scoring both Reading and Cancilla on a Brouilette single to center. The third run was scored by Brouilette when advanced on an error during an Estrem single.
The final run of the game came in the seventh inning when Noah Estrem once again scored for UAM, taking home on a wild pitch to give UAM a 13-3 lead.
Mississippi College was unable to respond to the Weevils, as the game would end in the eighth due to mercy rule.
Game 2, 7 Innings
Arkansas-Monticello: 4, Mississippi College: 2
WP: Connor Irvine (1-0)
LP: Kyle Collet (0-1)
SV: River Hunt (1)
Mississippi College was the first team to have a run cross the plate when their lead off hitter hit a solo home run over the left field wall in the bottom half of the first inning.
The Choctaws would increase their lead to 2-0 in the fourth inning when a run scored on a one-out triple down the right field line.
After five straight three up, three down innings, the Weevils found momentum in the sixth. Clay Lockett reached first on a fielder’s choice, followed by a single from Deshaun Cordova that put two runners on base. Back-to-back home runs from veteran Cade Thompson (3-Run) and newcomer Kirk Woolf (Solo) put Arkansas-Monticello up 4-2.
River Hunt would come in to pitch for the Weevils in the seventh, seeing only three batters in the inning to lock in the first save of the year.
The game would conclude with a 4-2 Weevil WIN and a 3-0 series sweep on the weekend.
– Mason Philley collected the win in game 1, totaling 5.0 innings pitched with 3 runs allowed, 1 hit, 5 base by balls, and 11 strikeouts on the day.
– Mitchell Maxfield closed out the game, dishing out 2.0 innings pitched for the Weevils. He struck out one batter, with 2 hits allowed and 0 runs allowed.
– Connor Irvine started on the mound in game 2, tossing 6.0 innings with 2 runs allowed, 5 hits, 2 base by balls, and 9 strikeouts on the day.
– River Hunt made his first appearance of the year, throwing the final inning for UAM. He collected a save with 2 strike outs and only 3 batters faced.
– Cade Cancilla – 4-for-4 with 3 RBI and 2 runs scored.
– Joe Brouilette – 2-for-4 with 3 RBI and a run scored.
– Chase Cripps – 1-for-3 with 3 RBI, 1 double and a run scored.
– Cade Thompson – 1-for-3 with a home run and 3 RBI.
– Kirk Woolf – 1-for-3 with a home run.
– Mason Philley’s 11 strikeouts is now the season-high for a Boll Weevil pitcher, followed by Connor Irvine with a 9 strikeout game.
– Cade Cancilla leaves the weekend going 5-9 to start the season with a .556 batting average and 7 total RBI.
– Joe Brouilette comes out of opening weekend with an impressive .429 average after going 3-7 with a team leading 4 walks.
The wins on the day pushes Arkansas-Monticello to a 3-0 start to the 2023 season as they prepare for their second week of non conference play.
Arkansas-Monticello has their home opener at Weevils Field on Friday, Feb. 10 as they host game 1 of a 3-game series with St. Cloud State University. First pitch of game 1 is set to begin at 2:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Baseball schedule.
How to follow the Weevils: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Weevils Baseball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “Weevils Baseball” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
#WeevilNation | #WeEvil