MONTICELLO, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello football team took down Great American Conference foe Arkansas Tech University on Saturday for a Parent and Family Day victory. The 35-17 victory over the Wonder Boys push the Weevils to a 3-1 record on the season.
UAM came out of the gate strong in Saturday evening’s GAC match-up, being the first to score and gaining an early 14-0 lead over Arkansas Tech. With the game being tied at 14-14 coming out of half time, the Boll Weevils kicked it into second gear in the second half. The Wonder Boys were unable to score another point on UAM for the remainder of the game.
On offense, quarterback Demilon Brown went 8-of-16 on passing plays for 114 yards and claimed a touchdown pass to Isaiah Cross. Cross led UAM in receiving with five receptions for 93 total yards. His longest of the night being for a 44 yard gain. On the ground, Brown’s 17 carries for 184 yards led the team.
Defensively, Damarous White led the way with six solo stops. The Boll Weevil defense also snagged five different interceptions from Tech on the game.
Jesus Zizumbo led the night in extra point attempts, going 2-2.
Boll Weevil Head Coach Hud Jackson had this to say after the game: “Extremely proud of our players and coaches and our entire staff. Played well! We will continue to work the process day to day. Our players understand that each play is different and we have to move to the next one whether good or bad! Can’t wait to practice next week and be around this group because they want to be great! So proud of our athletic department because they work so hard to make our game day experience top notch! Eat’em up!”
How it Happened
- 12:25 – UAM | Demilon Brown rushes 28 yards for his first touchdown of the game, following a six play, 50-yard drive.
- 06:08 – UAM | Brown runs into the Wonder Boy end zone for his second touchdown of the game on an 8 yard dash after a series that lasted 11 plays and 38-yards.
- 09:58 – ATU | Tyler Day dashes five yards into the UAM endzone to put Tech on the board after an 11 play, 80-yard drive.
- 00:32 – ATU | Deon Simmons rushes a single yard for Tech’s second touchdown of the game, following an eight play, 80-yard series.
- 09:57 – UAM | Brown Sprints into the ATU end zone for his third rushing touchdown of the game after a six play, 46-yard drive.
- 02:01 – UAM | Isaiah Cross pulls in a 44-yard heave from Brown to score after a five play, 69-yard run.
- 11:28 – UAM | Hayden Thomas ran in the final Weevil points on a five yard rush after an eight play, 49-yard series.
The Weevils return to action on October 1 when they travel to Weatherford, Oklahoma to take on Southwestern Oklahoma State University. The game is set to begin at 2:00 p.m.
You can find links the official live stream and live stats as tabs on the Weevil Football schedule page at uamsports.com.
We’d like to give a huge thank you to all of our corporate sponsors, especially tonight’s game day sponsor, Union Bank. Thank you for your continued support of UAM Athletics!
#WeevilNation | #EatEmUp