BETHANY, Okla. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello football team began their 2022 football campaign with a win over Great American Confere foe Southern Nazarene University. The 40-26 victory over the Crimson Storm pushes the Weevils to a 1-0 record on the season.
UAM came out of the gate strong in Thursday evening’s Great American Conference match-up, gainging an early lead over Southern Nazarene and refusing to come out of the game with a loss. The Boll Weevils have a victory to be proud of as they begin their long trip home to Monticello.
On offense, quarterback Demilon Brown went 12-of-24 on passing plays for 228 yards and scored three touchdowns of his own on 149 rushing yards in game one for the Boll Weevils. He threw a touchdown pass to both Lacedric Smith and Jordan Mansfield. Although he did not score himself, Isaiah Cross led UAM in receiving with three receptions for 97 total yards. His longest of the night being for a 52 yard gain. On the ground, Brown’s 13 carries for 149 yards led the team, but, Jonero Scott was a close second with 135 yards of his own on 21 attempts.
Defensively, Tanner Courson and Demauryon Holmes led the way with seventeen total tackles between the two with each having seven solo stops.
Marquise Mcknight led the night in extra point attempts, going 4-5.
Boll Weevil Head Coach Hud Jackson had this to say after the game: “We are excited about the win. Lots of ups and downs. Played thru it and I am proud of the team and staff. Had great crowd that stuck with us thru the rain. Time to focus on The next one! Eat’em up!”
How it Happened
- 09:06 – UAM | Demilon Brown hands one off to Jonero Scott for a 54-yard touchdown rush, concluding a five-play, 77-yard opening drive.
- 00:20 – UAM | Brown took matters into his own hands, rushing five yards up the middle inth the SNU end zone to cap off a eight-play, 82-yard series.
- 06:45 – UAM | Brown once again, rushed up the middle into the Crimson Storm end zone to end a 12-play, 96-yard drive.
- 04:48 – SNU | Gage Porter scored on a one-yard rush up the middle, capping a drive that lasted four plays and 31 yards after a 59 yard punt return.
- 04:48 – SNU | Mylic Ritche takes down Jonero Scott for a one-yard loss, resulting in a safety.
- 00:05 – SNU | Porter dishes a pass up the middle to Angel Ramirez for a 20-yard touchdown to end a five-play, 55-yard series.
- 12:47 – UAM | Brown, for the third time on the night, rushed into the Crimson Storm end zone to end a six-play, 75-yard drive.
- 09:56 – SNU | Porter scored on a 23-yard rush up the left side, finalizing a five-play, 58 yard drive for the home team.
- 04:47 – UAM | Jordan Mansfield pulls in a pass from Brown for a 15-yard reception touchdown, closing out an 11-play, 82-yard series.
- 04:55 – UAM | LaCedric Smith scored the final points of the game on a 37-yard reception from Brown to end a seven-play, 75-yard drive.
The Weevils return to Willis “Convoy” Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium to take on Oklahoma Baptist University in their home opener of the 2022 Weevil Football campaign. The first home game of the season will be UAM Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day, sponsored by South Arkansas Rehabilitation. The game is hosted on Sept. 8 and begin at 6:00 p.m.
You can catch the live stream on the official UAM Sports YouTube Page and the live stats at uamsports.com.