SHAWNEE, Okla. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello baseball team traveled to Shawnee, Oklahoma on Friday afternoon to take on Oklahoma Baptist University in game one of their weekend series. The Weevils came out of the first game with an 11-7 win over the Bison.
Game 1, 9 Innings
Oklahoma Baptist: 7, Arkansas-Monticello: 11
WP: Connor Irvine (5-2)
LP: Brek Galbreath (3-3)
Arkansas-Monticello was the first team to put a run on the board, with Noah Estrem driving in Cade Cancilla on a single up the middle. The Bison responded in the bottom half of the inning with a run of their own to tie the game back up at 1-1.
Chaz Poppy launched a solo home run over the right field wall in the fifth to regain the lead.
The Weevils scored five runs in the seventh to take a 7-1 lead over Oklahoma Baptist. Kirk Woolf doubled to right center to bring home Clay Lockett, followed by an RBI double from Chaz Poppy to score Woolf. Cade Cancilla and Parker Dorrance each roped RBI singles with Dorrance driving in two. The Bison found a single run in the bottom half of the inning.
UAM drove in four more runs between the eighth and ninth innings with Kirk Woolf and Chase Cripps hitting RBI singles. Woolf would score on a failed pick off attempt and Cade Thompson would drive in the final Boll Weevil run of the game.
OBU put up five runs in the ninth, but were unable to completely take back the UAM lead.
Game 1 on the weekend would conclude with an 11-7 Weevil WIN and a 1-0 start to the series.
– Connor Irvine started on the mound in game 1, totaling 8.0 innings pitched with 2 runs allowed, 6 hits and 10 strikeouts on the day.
– Jacob McDaniel took his turn on the bump, dishing out 0.1 innings pitched for the Weevils. He struck out a batter, with 2 hits and 4 runs allowed.
– Lane Ladner closed out the remaining 0.2 inning of the game, dishing
– Chaz Poppy – 2-for-5 with 1 Home Run, 1 Double, 2 RBI and 2 Runs Scored
– Chase Cripps – 3-for-4 with 1 RBI and 1 Run Scored
– Kirk Woolf – 2-for-6 with 1 Double, 2 RBI, 2 Runs Scored and 1 Stolen Base
The wins on the day pushes Arkansas-Monticello to a 13-10 overall, 7-6 GAC record start to the 2023 season as they prepare for Saturday’s doubleheader.
Arkansas-Monticello is back in action on Saturday, Mar. 18 as take on the Bison in games 2 and 3 of their conference series. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for 12:00 p.m.
All live streams and live stats will be available as clickable links on the UAM Baseball schedule.
How to follow the Weevils: For more information on Arkansas-Monticello Weevils Baseball, visit www.uamsports.com and follow the team’s social media channels by searching “Weevils Baseball” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
#WeevilNation | #WeEvil