MONTICELLO, Ark. – The University of Arkansas at Monticello football team played their ninth match-up of the 2022 season on Saturday afternoon. The Boll Weevils hosted out-of-state, Great American Conference member Southeastern Oklahoma State University at home for the first time since 2018, taking a 48-20 loss from the Savage Storm. The loss on the day drops the Weevils to a 3-6 record on the season.
After a downfall of rain early Saturday morning, the Weevils had a back and forth match-up with the visiting Savage Storm. The Boll Weevils were the first to put points on the board, but would unfortunately lose their offensive momentum as the game continued. The Storm would come out on top as the battle came to an end, but UAM pushed all the way to the end.
On offense, quarterback Edwin Kleinpeter went 13-for-27 on passing plays for 167 yards. LaCedric Smith led UAM in receiving with six receptions for 76 total yards. Close behind was Jordan Mansfield with three receptions for 66 yards and two touchdowns. His longest of the night being for a 31 yard touchdown reception. On the ground, Dorian Manuel led the Boll Weevils with 13 carries for 53 yards. Hayden Thomas was right behind Manuel with 27 yards of his own and a touchdown for the home team.
Defensively, Brycen Leblanc led the way for the Boll Weevils with nine total tackles and seven solo stops.
Zachary Grisotti led the day in extra point attempts, going 2-2.
Boll Weevil Head Coach Hud Jackson had this to say after the game: “Very good SE football team. Playing well in spurts is not the way to win games. Consistency has been our issue. Our guys play hard but we have to do it for 4 quarters. The emotion of the game has to be controlled and that starts with me. I have to be better so our players can overcome adversity quicker. We will continue to work hard to find a way to get back to the winning side of the scoreboard. These players deserve to be winners.”
How it Happened
- 11:40 – UAM | Hayden Thomas rushed 21 yard into the Savage Storm end zone following a five play, 43-yard run.
- 03:05 – SE | Deundre Wheeler scored a five yard rushing touchdown to conclude a seven play, 64-yard drive.
- 02:15 – SE | Tyveon Williams blocked a UAM punt in the back field and recovered the football to score.
- 11:47 – SE | Matthew Nunez pulls in a 35-yard heave from Daulton Hatley to score after a six play, 63-yard Bison drive.
- 00:15 – SE | Marquis Gray snags an 18-yard pass from Hatley for a touchdown to close out a 13-play, 70-yard series.
- 10:57 – SE | Wheeler rushes eight yards for his second touchdown of the game after an eight play, 62-yard drive.
- 06:48 – SE | Trey Keatts kicked a 32-yard field goal after four straight downs.
- 02:00 – SE | Keatts kicked his second field goal of the game for 29-yards after a seven play 59-yard run.
- 01:28 – UAM | Jordan Mansfield scores a 31-yard reception touchdown from Edwin Kleinpeter to conclude a two play, 76-yard series.
- 11:09 – SE | Ryan Hirt snagged a 17-yard pass from Hatley after a 10-play, 68-yard drive.
- 02:32 – UAM | Mansfield found a 28-yard reception to score his second touchdown of the game following a 12-play, 65-yard run.
The Weevils travel to Ada, Oklahoma on Saturday, November 5 to take on out-of-state GAC member East Central University. Official kickoff is set for 2:00 p.m.
You can find links the official live stream and live stats as tabs on the Weevil Football schedule page at uamsports.com.
We’d like to extend a major thank you to Drew Memorial Health System for sponsoring today’s PINK OUT, Breast Cancer Awareness Day. Thank you for your continued support of UAM Athletics!
#WeevilNation | #EatEmUp